Monday 2 April 2012

War Horse - Michael Morpurgo

Official Blurb

This book recounts the adventures of a horse as he moves from life on a farm into the battles of World War I, the story of a friendship lasting through the toughest of tests.
Through the eyes of the war horse, Joey, Michael Morpurgo tells this moving and powerful story of survival on the Western Front.
Runner-up for the Whitbread Award. 

PS   Don't read Amazon's offical synopsis - it reveals too much of the story.

My Review
Beautiful naïve writing makes this an easy, enjoyable read.  I loved the way the story is simply and sensitively told from the viewpoint of Joey ‘the warhorse’ - should be sold with a box of tissues.  Joey’s story is compelling from the outset and my tears were falling from the second page – It’s not all sad tears though.  I was caring and rooting for Joey from page one.  Although Michael Murpogo writes economically he easily managed to evoke an emotional response from this reader at every turn.  It is unashamedly sentimental at times but in balance it is frank about the horrors of war from Joey's perspective without being gruesome.  I look forward to reading more of his work.

I can see why this was chosen to be made into a movie, the writing evokes visual scenes easily adapted for the cinema.  I look forward to seeing Spielberg’s interpretation. 

 
Recommended read for all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment