Sunday 27 May 2012

The Sicilian Amulet – Jo Manning

On a recent trip to Dublin I found a lovely wee bookshop in Malahide.  Naturally I had to buy a book and as usual being on the hunt for a bargain I was drawn to a hardcopy of The Sicilian Amulet with a price tag of 3.  It had an interesting title and the cover was appealing.  Well, the old adage applies …… never judge a book by its cover.

Amazon Synopsis

Jane Holland finds herself strangely drawn to Sicily and is introduced to a prince named Lorenzo, who gives her an amulet. His grandfather Maurizio made two and gave the other one to a beautiful peasant woman. Later, Jane discovers that her great-aunt had a scandalous affair with a married man. Are the spirits of Maurizio and Caterina working through Jane and Lorenzo to bring closure to that tragic love affair?

My Review
I laboured through the book as some part of the story did entice me (perhaps entice is too strong a word more accurately peaked my interest).  However the love story, which accounts for a large percentage of the novel I found just too ‘Mills and Boon’ for my liking.  I also found the writing, to be kind, less than sophisticated and the narative predictable. 

I would describe this novel as chick lit which may appeal to YA’s, (maybe I’m just in my grumpy old woman phase). 


No comments:

Post a Comment